Hiring Librarians

Jay Smith smithj at pls.lib.ca.us
Mon Aug 26 14:50:13 EDT 1996

Scott uses "many" possibly to defend himself from charges of unfairly
categorizing librarians.  Even so, I did feel the sting of being unfairly
lumped.

The problem of the "otherside of trying to hire librarians" is at least
partly that the salaries offered aren't attractive enough to bother applying.
The offers I've seen on this listserv have not tempted me enough to want
to apply since these full-time salaries were a good deal less than that
of my current part-time position.  It's especially galling since I'm
almost entirely self-taught and take pride in my accomplishment.

No comment on buggy whips.

   Jay Smith                                     voice (415) 591-1110
   Reference Librarian                           fax (415) 591-1585
   San Mateo Co. Library                         smithj at pls.lib.ca.us
   Technical Support Group
   Peninsula Library System

   San Carlos Library, 655 Chestnut St., San Carlos, CA 94070