Getting around command.com hole in WWW browsers

David P Atkins notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Mon Aug 26 12:05:06 EDT 1996

Hello all,

In trying to plug or avoid the command.com hole in WWW browsers we're
working on two tracks 1) Windows 3.1 & 2) X-Terminals.

1)  Windows 3.1

Our LAN Man has tried to hide command.com on our lan stations, using
comspec to no avail.

Here's what happens:

"The NetScrape fix would be fine EXCEPT that when you try running
command.com in Netscape it gives you a window that lists the "hidden"
comspec file as its banner (in this case,  "Z:\PCDOS_63\PCDOS.COM") along
with the error message "file not found".  i.e., it gives itself away!!!!"

Has anyone cracked this nut?  If so, hundreds (including Netscape) await the
secret.  And going all Mac is not an option (shucks)!

2)  X-Terminals

Any folks making both X-Term Netscape sessions and DOS/Windows applications
available from the same workstations?  Looks real doable but w/ new
security and traffic issues concerning our unix servers.  Could be a nice
& tight version of a browser but takes away the utility of W3Laucher, et. al.

Thanks,
David

David P. Atkins
Electronic Reference Services Librarian
Middleton Library                    email:  notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Louisiana State University                     voice:   (504) 388-6823
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-3300                      fax:    (504) 388-6825