Wyse WinTerm (very thin Windows client)

Mark Ellis mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca
Tue Aug 20 14:28:33 EDT 1996

While I agree that the benefits of WinTerms over PCs are questionable, the
host component, WinFrame, has great potential as a remote access solution
for libraries.  A patron running a 1 MB 286 with VGA and a 14.4/28.8 modem
can run bloated or bandwidth intensive Windows applications without coming
into the library.

This is particularly attractive for CD-ROM databases. (while you're waiting
for them to be Webified) There are still some drawbacks--it's still not
practical to stuff 24 bit images or digital video down a phone line.

WinFrame has had good reviews in the computer press.

See www.citrix.com for info on WinFrame and www.wyse.com for info on WinTerm.

You have to wonder about the people who came up with the name "Citrix"
though. At least they had the sense to use oranges instead of lemons in
their logo. ;-)

>This is just retooling the old dumb terminal technology only now it
>would be much slower and akward because of Windows (and GUI
>interfaces in general). Networking can improve the power of computing
>but not at the expense of power in the machines.
>
>If any of you have ever used a VTLS system you know what I mean. It
>would save $$ on cost of terminals at first, but the costs of servers would
>probably
>increase to make up the profit margins.
>
>I still think you're better off with networked Pentiums and keep
>servers for running applications and e-mail, but keep the OS routines
>on each PC.
>

>Mark
>wilcox01 at airmail.net
>http://www.unt.edu/~mew0002/
>Member of HTML Writers Guild
>http://www.hwg.org/
>
>The Sheriff in Night of the Living Dead

Mark Ellis
Computer Services Technician            Phone: 604.231.6410
Richmond Public Library                 Email: mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca
Richmond, British Columbia