Pay for pages? -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Tue Aug 20 07:57:04 EDT 1996

I'm glad Sara Weissman brought this up.  "isn't creating web
pages part of our job, responsibility, profession?"  You go girl!
We do not need more pay ghettos.  There is a subterranean
gender issue here, too--the more technical areas of librarianship
tend to be more male and tend to be better-paid.

Let's keep basic skills BASIC and make them REQUIRED and
put them in our RFPs and our JOB DESCRIPTIONS and use
them to evaluate LIBRARY DEGREE PROGRAMS.  And folks
who don't want to learn these skills need not apply to our
profession.  Every profession has a few hoops you need to jump
through to prove you have the right stuff--I think HTML is a
pretty obvious hoop that separates the wannabes from the Real
Cybrarians.

Of course, if someone wanted to pay me extra every time I post
to a discussion list, I'm all for it.  ;)

Karen G. "great coffee this morning!" Schneider
opinions mine alone