[restrictions] settings

Christopher J. Shaffer shaffer at uic.edu
Fri Aug 16 14:26:54 EDT 1996

At 11:59 AM 8/16/96 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
>This question comes up often (this time on another list) so I thought it
>might be helpful to post here.
>
>At 01:20 PM 8/15/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>I was wondering if someone could repost a good list of options for the
>>progman.ini [restrictions] section, or perhaps point me to a source or
>>documentation.  I've got them all in my notes here and there but am
>>having a hard time bringing it together.  Thanks!
>
> [snip]
>
>By using the NoFileMenu setting you can keep people from looking at the
>properties at all (and prevent them from seeing where your programs are
located.

Don't assume that progman.ini [restrictions] will adequately protect your
system by themselves.  They're nice to prevent accidental edits/deletes, but
by themselves they won't stop a knowledgeable hacker.  For example, they
don't prevent users from viewing or manipulating files with programs like FTP.
-----
"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
  --Albert Einstein
Chris Shaffer     shaffer at uic.edu     http://www.uic.edu/~shaffer/