NT platform performance vs. UNIX & Mac

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Aug 5 12:57:40 EDT 1996

We are considering converting a periodicals index database from a 3
yr.-old installation of BRS running on a 486 (33mhz) under Unix, over to
an NT machine running INMAGIC's new Webbed version.  BRS has performed
surprisingly well on the 486 (fast at the time), but we have a
concurrent user license limit, and BRS/Unix is a bit opaque for
flexibility in maintenance.

We don't have any personal experience with NT or its performance
capability/track record.  Could Web4Lib subscribers comment upon:

  * Ideas about "multi-user capacity" of a Web server and INMAGIC on an
NT-class machine?  I know it's a stateless connection, but what kind of
user load 'fore performance bogs down?
  (BTW, please, no polemics about the merits of various OSs.)

  * Learning curve and any obstacles for NT op sys?

  * Can NT work effectively on a decently fast 486, like a -66 or -100?
Or should you really use a Pentium?

  * What to use for scripting CGIs on an NT machine?  I noted recent msg
by Mark Ellis about using a port of PERL or Visual Basic. Any other
candidates?

Thanks, in advance,

-ernest

Ernest Perez//Oregon State Library//perez at opac.state.or.us//503-378-4243
------------------------------------------------------------------------Where is the knowledge that is lost in information?  Where is the wisdom
that is lost in knowledge?       -- T.S. Eliot