Indents

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Aug 1 15:04:06 EDT 1996

> For the record, I'm not down on content standards,
> -- far from it! -- I'm just surprised that anything
> visual _tends_ to be considered so unimportant.

Also for the record, I don't consider the visual aspect of a document
unimportant.  But HTML, descending as it does from the very
structure-oriented world of SGML, is necessarily lacking visually-oriented
page layout capabilities.  When formatting really matters, it makes less
sense to keep banging on HTML until it kinda sorta does what you want than
it does to use an add-in like style sheets or a completely separate format
that was designed to do what you want (PDF, Word, WordPerfect, PostScript,
scanned images, TeX...).

Thomas Dowling                    \ tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Asst. Director, Client/Server Apps.\    614/728-3600 x326
OhioLINK                            \    FAX 614/728-3610