Linking to URLs on the web--CNN

Elizabeth A Johnston johnston+ at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 29 13:37:13 EDT 1996

Hello Again:

Well, now, how does this apply to, say, bookmarks? I have several WWW
sites that I access frequently. For convenience, I have bookmarked them.
What is the difference if I access them from a bookmark or from a 'link'
on my own personal page? I'm hitting that server just as often, no matter
which way I get there. Obviously, I am talking about myself here, and my
own personal page(s), but what if the library 'bookmarks' places like the
Weather Underground or CNN for patrons to use as launching points?

Another point here that has been touched upon by previous post(s?) is the
idea that the CNN name/logo is most likely a registered trademark, and
that seems to me where the legal (as opposed to netiquette...) question
comes in. Can I just use anybody's name/logo when/where I please? I think
not. As to the person who lamented the, admittedly at times overzealous,
activities of the copyright/trademark cops... Unfortunately, that is the
way it is. That's why people register their stuff. To protect it from
unauthorized use. So, if I can't say 'CNN' for my link, can I say somthing
like 'really, really kewl (cool) place to go for news and stuff' instead?

Just me $.02...

Elizabeth Johnston
Systems Analyst
University of Pittsburgh Library System
johnston+ at pitt.edu

BTW: As for the cold call analogy... Setting up a *World Wide* Web site,
by my personal definition anyway, implies that you are open for business.
If you don't want people to look at your pages, then keep 'em outta sight.
If people can see them, as I said before, then they can link to them as
they see fit. If your server is getting whomped upon by strangers, then
shut them out. It's not hard to do.

As for how did your name (www site) get on the list, web crawling robots
are out and about everyday, indexing the web as fast as their little legs
can go. I was very surprised recently when I got a phone call from a
person at a large (really big, but shall remain nameless...) corporate
entity contacted us because he was able to access some things that he
shouldn't have been able to see. We had restricted the 'front door' to
this stuff, but he came in thru a link at Alta Vista (a web index/search
service) that was pointing to an older, now defunct, version of the data.
(Admittedly, we should not have allowed access there either, but while it
was in development, no one really cared, and then it kinda got ignored.
That is until the phone call...)

Once again, speaking as a sys admin, when you connect to the internet, you
are there for better or worse. The benefits are great, but the risks are
also great. The choice is yours.