Alicia Abramson aabrams at american.edu
Mon Apr 29 12:45:31 EDT 1996

Below are all the responses I received to my request for pointers to
evaluative information on using Windows NT as a platform for a Web server.
In addition, a colleague here at American University pointed me to an
article in Netguide that discusses the different platforms:

"Serving up the net", by Ronen Yaari, in _NetGuide_, May 1996, pp. 54-68.

>> From Thomas Dowling

I believe both Byte and PC Magazine have covered this
within the last couple of issues.  The PC Magazine in
particular focused on Windows platforms (sorry for the
lack of a specific citation, but it was a cover story
so it should be easy to browse for).

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK

>>From Walter Geisbrecht:

Try the following, from PC Week:

http://www.pcweek.com/archive/960129/pcw00075.htm
http://www.pcweek.com/archive/960304/pcwk0099.htm

Also, I couldn't find the reviews online, but try these print
references in PC Week:

    *  Comparative review of secure NT-based Web servers (March
       4, 1996)
    *  Comparative review of NT-based Web servers (Jan. 29, 1996)
    *  Comparative review of secure NT-based Web servers (Oct.
       30, 1995)
Walter W. Giesbrecht               walterg at yorku.ca
York University Libraries

>> From Sally Kasalko:

Alicia,

We started out with the Netscape NT server and recently migrated to the NT
version of the Microsoft Internet Information Server.  It was very easy to
install and and maintain and is working just fine for us.  It has WWW, FTP,
and Gopher capability, but does not come with integrated forms capability.
You will still have to have PERL or Visual Basic or whatever to support CGI.

It is supposed to be able to support 1,000 simultaneous users, but we do not
have that leve of usage so I can't vouch for that capability.

It was free and that was a + factor.

For more info contact http://www.microsoft.com or take a look at the
Microsfot IIS FAQ at http://rampages.onramp.net/~steveg/iis.html.

Our home page is at http://www.library.uams.edu.  If you take a look at it,
please let me know how it is running for you.

Good luck with your NT server quest.

Sally Kasalko
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Library
KASALKO at LIBLAN.UAMS.EDU

>>From <mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca>:

PC Week and PC Magazine have reviewed a number of them.  I don't have the
specifics, but you should be able to find the reviews through your
periodical indexes.

                             | Alicia Abramson        |
                             * Head, Library Systems  *
                             | American University    |