Web-accessible thesauri

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Fri Apr 26 10:48:57 EDT 1996

By way of clarification, the direct URL for the ARTFL "Roget's Thesaurus"
is http://humanities.uchicago.edu/forms_unrest/ROGET.html  They'll tell
you that they were picked as a PC Magazine Top 100 site, a Magellan 3-Star
site, and a GNN Whole Internet Catalog site.  But they don't provide too
many bibliographic details about the thesaurus itself.

Entries are titled "ARTFL Project: Roget's Thesaurus, 1911" so is this in
fact a 1911 thesaurus (with 1991 updates?)?  It's definitely not the "IET
Enhanced Roget's" thesaurus that we're from INSO that we're going to
mount, and which I *believe* is the electronic version of the current
Houghton Mifflin "Roget's II".  Apologies if I've got that wrong--we
haven't received a lot of documentation on it.

BTW, which kind of thesaurus was the original question about?  :-)

Thomas Dowling                    \ tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Asst. Director, Client/Server Apps.\    614/728-3600 x326
OhioLINK                            \    FAX 614/728-3610

----------
> From: JHENDERSON
> To: Multiple recipients of list
> Subject: RE: Web-accessible thesauri
> Date: Friday, April 26, 1996 10:01 AM
>
> With thesauri you need to be watchful of several things.  First, the
name
> Roget has gone the way of Webster in entering the public domain, and the
label
> Roget signifies nothing about the thesaurus's compilers or publisher.
> Because the 1911 Roget's thesaurus is in the public domain, and has
become
> part of the Gutenberg Project.  If a thesaurus is not otherwise labeled,
there
> is a good chance that that is the one being used.
>
> ARTFL Project's ROGET'S Thesaurus
> (http://home.netscape.com/home/whats-new.html)
> is the thesaurus I have used most often. (But I still prefer a hard copy

> thesaurus.) It is a searchable full text Roget's Thesaurus version 1.02
> (supplemented: July 1991) released to the public domain by MICRA Inc and
the
> Gutenberg Project [which I think means it is based on the 1911 version].
The