"Bombproofing" Win95 User PCs (II) (fwd)

Daniel Barkey d-barkey at nwu.edu
Thu Apr 25 14:15:11 EDT 1996

Thanks to Ulrich for this great info!  We have similar setup with win95 and
an NT server and have had great success using these methods!

Another useful tip for the policy editor (poledit) is the ability to
control what the Start Menu looks like from a centrally defined Start Menu
folder.  All start menu items (shortcuts) for our guest users are on the NT
server, so whenever we want to change what the start menu looks like, all
we do is make changes on the NT server.  You can do this through poledit,
under the Shell section for a user, and then select the Custom Folders
section.  Check Custom Start Menu and then provide the path to where the
start menu is located.

One problem we still have is allowing our users access to the floppy drive,
but not allow them access to the local hard drive with explorer.  I put a
shortcut to the floppy drive in the Start Menu for our guest user, however,
if a user uses the right mouse button and selects the floppy icon, the user
can get access to Explorer and the rest of the hard drive!  Does anybody
know how to disable Explorer?

--
Daniel C. Barkey
Head, Information Systems                     d-barkey at nwu.edu
Galter Health Sciences Library                  (312) 503-0421
Northwestern University                    FAX: (312) 503-8028