Delivering information support electronically

S.J.Ashton LIP95SJA at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Apr 24 11:50:59 EDT 1996

Apologies for cross-posting. This message has been posted to
PACS-L, NETTRAIN, LITA-L, and Web4lib.

Does your library use electronic communication to deliver user
education, information skills training, or reference/enquiry services
to your users? If so, the NetLinkS project at the University of
Sheffield is keen to find out about your work.

I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who uses
computer-mediated communication (Internet-based and other) to
offer information support to learners/researchers in higher education.
For example, this could include: the use of email or WWW to provide
user education or enquiry services; the use of discussion lists, bulletin
boards, electronic conferencing facilities, MUDs or MOOs to provide
a virtual educational environment. The NetLinkS project is keen to gain
an international picture of professional developments in this area, so I
would particularly like to hear from those of you who are providing
these kinds of services outside the UK.

NetLinkS is based in the Department of Information Studies at the
University of Sheffield, and is funded by the HEFCE's Joint Information
Systems Committee as part of the Electronic Libraries programme.
For more information, our URL is:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/projects/np/index.html

I am working on a Masters dissertation project in association with the
NetLinkS project.

If you would be willing to take part in a brief electronic survey on this
topic, please contact me directly, and I will later email the questionnaire
to you. I would be very grateful if people could help, and I will of course
be happy to share my findings with subscribers to this list.

Thankyou,

Sarah Ashton
M.A. Librarianship & NetLinkS Project.
Information Studies Dept., University of Sheffield
Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN
LIP95SJA at sheffield.ac.uk

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The Librarian was always up early because he was an oran-utang,
and they are naturally early risers, although in his case he
didn't bellow a few times to keep males off his territory. He just
unlocked the Library and fed the books" Terry Pratchett.