Linking to URLs on the web (was Useful Training pages...)

Donald A. Barclay dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu
Mon Apr 22 14:42:07 EDT 1996

This business of linking URLs is really part of a larger problem. A while
back that CNN was providing news on the web.  Our library had a link to
this site until we got a threatening message from CNN saying we couldn't
link to their site unless we paid.

We cut the link, though I think CNN had no more right to tell us we
couldn't link to their wide-open WWW site than the owner of a billboard
posted beside a public highway has a right to tell passersby not to look
at the billboard without paying for the right to do so.

Of course whether what <<I think is right>> would stand up in court is
something I'll never know until such a case goes to court. Still, my
feeling is that if you don't want people linking to your URLs, either
don't put your stuff on the web or protect your site with a password
system.

Donald A. Barclay
New Mexico State University Library     always the beautiful answer
dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu                   who asks a more beautiful question
                                                    --e.e. cummings