Useful Training pages on the Web

Linda Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Thu Apr 18 13:21:59 EDT 1996

RE: http://edweb.sdsu.edu/edfirst/appcamp/graphics/grabweb.html from
mfbrown at utk.edu--

You are absolutely correct and I better post this to all four listservs to
be on the safe side.  I once listed a URL from a research group at UCLA on
a resource page and got back quite a nasty note from them for using their
URL as a link without asking.  I try to  notify links now and  do a Web
Credits section.  Graphics should, as you say, be included.  We aim for
generic clip art whenever possible.

Thanks for keeping us on the  straight and narrow!

>...<snip>...One concern I had with the Graphics page, though.  Nowhere
>does the >author
>cover possible copyright of images.  The page about "Grabbing Web Pages"
>states that you can just save an image from anyone else's home page.
>While true from a technical point, you could easily violate copyright this
>way.  I co-manage a site where an image had been taken this way, and the
>owners of the original wrote to let us know that it was a violation to
>display that image.
>
>It's just something the author may want to consider including!

Linda Woods Hyman-Education First Initiative
Pacific Bell/San Diego State University
Dept. of Educational Technology
San Diego  CA  92182  (619) 594-4414
e-mail:  lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu