WIRED 4.05: Seek and Ye Shall Find

Molly Molloy mmolloy at lib.nmsu.edu
Tue Apr 16 16:02:40 EDT 1996

http://www.hotwired.com/wired/4.05/indexing/index.html

provides excerpts from an article about the "ultimate index" in the May
issue of WIRED by Steve Steinberg.  The author interviews various search
engine and catalog developers (yahoo, excite, inktomi, etc) about their
strategies and visions of the future.  He says some not very intelligent
things about librarians and seems to think that all human knowledge will
be on the web any day now.  He doesn't take into account much about
economics/politics/copyright or other social issues. I'd be interested in
opinions of some of the more technical info-retrieval folks on this list.

Molly Molloy, New Mexico State University Library
mmolloy at lib.nmsu.edu

EXCERPT below: