"Archiving" e-journals

Bob Smith - Concordia Theo. Seminary cosmithb at ash.palni.edu
Tue Apr 16 14:57:45 EDT 1996

Dear Barbara:

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Barbara Stewart wrote:

> Just my luck...the first time I play devil's advocate, I get a reply from
> a Reverend ;-)

I normally play that role here... 8-)

> I agree with everything you've said here.  However, if each of us doesn't
> make a decision about what to archive IMMEDIATELY, then indeed these
> materials will be lost.  How can this issue be addressed?

This issue, to put it mildly, worries the professional archivists.
They've had a really tough time convincing folks to deposit material,
much less print it and deposit it. The only way I know of doing this is
personal action. I'm on the lookout for our own church bodies' materials
to appear on line. I'm half tempted to just preserve them, but...
Fortunately, our national archive has a cyber-archivist!

Of course, having just preached about all this, I really should go print
out my electronic text archive! With very little time to spare, I console
myself with the thought that most of it is scanned or retyped from print...

*sigh*

Peace,

Bob

> --
> Barbara Stewart, Latin American  Cataloger
> W.E.B. Du Bois Library, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
> Amherst, MA 01003
> (413)545-2728  Fax:(413)545-6494
> stew at library.umass.edu

   | Rev. Robert E. Smith      | Email: cosmithb at ash.palni.edu |
   | Public Services Librarian | Phone: (219) 452-2123         |
   | Concordia Theo. Seminary  | Ft. Wayne, Indiana            |
   |       http://www.palni.edu/~cosmithb/concordia.html       |