"Archiving" e-journals

Bill Pardue pardue at charlie.acc.iit.edu
Sat Apr 13 17:05:10 EDT 1996

Naturally, we have to decide what's worth saving and what's worth
passing up.  However, there are some cases where we clearly don't want
to lose the documents.  I'm at a sci-tech library, and there's
clearly a revolution in sci-tech publishing based around the advent
of the e-journal.  "Real research" (forgive the loaded term) is
appearing in e-journals and in some cases, e-journals are even
getting indexed (don't ask me for an example off the top of my
head!).  The revolution is not simply in delivery method, but  in
format.  We can't just print it off and retain the original value of
the document.

So, no, we don't want to be indiscriminate about what we save, but
neither do we want to deny completely the value of archiving
e-journals in an academic library.  Ideally, I'd like to see a
central "repository" of e-journals, but that still won't solve
certain problems.  Consider having a subscription to a repository
service of, say 20 e-journals.  You pay...oh...$2,000 per year for
the service.  Hard budgetary times hit.  You cut the $2,000.  With a
paper subscription, you still have the copies on shelf.  Will the
e-journal provider still allow you access to all the journals that
were available before the date you ended your subscription?  If not,
then all the money put towards that service has added up to nothing
after the subscription ends.  We need not only to guarantee access, but
continued access, especially to resources that clearly fall within
the scope of our collection criteria.

--Bill Pardue