"Archiving" e-journals

Bill Pardue pardue at charlie.acc.iit.edu
Thu Apr 11 10:56:05 EDT 1996

Thanks to those who replied.  Seems like lots of folks are trying to
think through this same problem.  Suggestions have come in two forms:

1)  Use "print driver" software such as Novell's Envoy or the Adobe
Acrobat PDFWriter to "capture" the printed versions of pages.  The
major downside is that you have to sit there and keep printing out
pages as you find them, naming files, etc.  You also lose the
"webbiness" of interrelated HTML documents.  This is probably a good
solution for some "flatter" e-journals, however.

2) Use a downloading tool like Webwhacker (which I heard of for the
first time today).

I'm trying the Webwhacker solution.  I decided to try it out on one
web site.  I started downloading around 10am.  It's now 3:50pm and
it's still downloading the same site.  The depth to which it
downloads a web site can be set as a preference, but for the site in
question, you pretty much had to let it get files all the way down
the tree.  If nothing else, it makes you realize how much goes into
maintaining even a moderately-sized web site.  If we stick with
Webwhacker, it looks like we'll just point it at a web site at the
end of the day, let it go overnight and see what we've got in the
morning.

Again, thanks for the input!

--Bill Pardue
    Bill Pardue--Electronic Resources Librarian
    Galvin Library, Illinois Institute of Tech.
                Chicago, IL  60616
312-567-3615/312-567-5318 (fax) pardue at charlie.acc.iit.edu