e-mail address for US universities

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Thu Apr 11 13:16:08 EDT 1996

> From web4lib at library.berkeley.edu  Thu Apr 11 02:14:08 1996
> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:57:46 -0700
> From: May Wang <mayw at arc.org.tw>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: e-mail address for US universities
>
> My friend tried to asked a International Student Advisors newsgroup that if
> anyone knows a list of US universities e-mail addresses, but no one in her
> group knows it.
>
> Anyone knows if there is a list compiled in WWW? Many of our library patrons
> need it. Thanks in advance.

If you find one, please check it carefully before using it.

As webmaster at Rice University, I get an awful lot of e-mail
containing general questions about Rice which I am neither qualified
nor authorized to answer.  Rice does not have a single e-mail address
covering admissions, course offerings, university events, library
reference, computer technical assistance, help locating friends at
Rice, etc.  But many people out there seem to assume that
"www at rice.edu" will serve for all of the above.

Please be sure that any list you use isn't simply a list of university
webmasters.  And if other universities have worked out an efficient way
to support a general-purpose "info at someplace.edu" e-mail address, I'd
like to hear about it.  Thanks.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
-- Home office: 2002-A Guadalupe St. #285, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-323-0708