Internal users, site licenses and identification

Jim Kruse isjrk at emory.edu
Fri Apr 5 17:14:22 EST 1996

The approach I have been discussing is for Web Home Page
interaction.

To meet the additional requirements that you have mentioned
we are setting up a secure commerce web server with
kerberos authentication.  That way restricted areas or
resources can require authentication.

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:54:30 -0800 "Peter Graham, RUL"
<psgraham at gandalf.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> From: Peter Graham,
Rutgers University Libraries

> There's a significant issue here that I suspect more than one of us are
> dealing with.  Some of the variables are:
>
> 1.  We in the libraries provide data bases under site license which may only
> be provided to our community
> 2.  More and more it makes sense for computing/network operations to provide
> access through ISVs rather than larger and larger (and slower) modem pools.
> 3.  We in the libraries want to assure anonymous access to data bases,
> including particularly from within our buildings where we don't want to
> require individual logins at library workstations (both for privacy and
> practicality reasons).
>
> The Emory solution does not easily allow Emory people who happen to be
> offcampus to access a site-licensed data base, as I see it; yet this is an
> important desideratum.  It is an issue we are facing here at Rutgers.  We
> have a CWIS which provides (using WWW) links to a variety of data bases, some
> open to the world and some not.  At the moment a kludge is being used to
> allow only campus people to get to the licensed d.b.'s (they must have come
> to the CWIS through an authenticated server).  We are being advised that this
> kludge won't last very long.
>
> Are there other practical solutions to this set of issues that have been
> found?  --pg
>
> Peter Graham    psgraham at gandalf.rutgers.edu    Rutgers University Libraries
> 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903   (908)445-5908; fax (908)445-5888
>               <URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pghome.html>

Jim Kruse
isjrk at emory.edu