internal pages

Jim Kruse isjrk at emory.edu
Fri Apr 5 12:33:57 EST 1996

At Emory University we discussed early on that there are
really three basic views of the Emory Web/Internet.

     The view of Emory for people at Emory

     The view of Emory for people outside of Emory

     And the view of the Internet for people at Emory.

When people connect to Emory a Perl script checks to see if
they are inside or outside Emory and then they are given
either the Internal or External view.

How you decide to set things up needs to be based on the
user base you are trying to support and their requirements.

At Emory we have about half of the 1.5+ million access of
our server from outside of Emory.  This is significant and
worth the time to design a "Visitors" view as a starting
point for people outside of Emory.

On 5 Apr 1996 Barbara Moore <BMOO at db1.cc.rochester.edu>
wrote:

> Does anyone know of a web site -- University or
otherwise -- which
> makes a distinction between internal and external information?  Here
> at the University of Rochester we are debating the pro's and con's
> of having an internal and external home page or having a link from
> the home page that says something like "internal stuff of interest
> to the University community but may be boring to others."
>
> This is not internal information that we want to restrict from outsiders;
> rather it is internal information that some outsiders may want to see but
> on the whole "clutters" up the page.
>
> That's how one group of people see this issue.  Another group says,
> people will work around this internal information.  It's too confusing
> to maintain two separate pages.
>

> Barbara Moore
> Assistant Director of Libraries
>  for Computer Systems and Applications