Web Years - The Definative Answer

skindrf1 at teomail.jhuapl.edu skindrf1 at teomail.jhuapl.edu
Fri Apr 19 10:42:31 EDT 1996

For my entire life, it has been my dream to add something, anything, to the
body of human knowledge.  I am proud to say that through careful research and
interaction with many eminent scholars listed below I have been able to
establish the exact meaning of the term "Web Year."  Please no prizes.
            Thanks to everyone who helped in this research project.

Bob Skinder
R.E. Gibson Library and Information Center
The Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Laboratory
410-792-6000 ext. 4685
robert_skinder at jhuapl.edu
http://lib2.jhuapl.edu/APL/ins/ins.html
                    One Web Year = exactly................

In the Feb. 20, 1996 issue of PC Magazine, Jim Seymour refers to Web Years
in his column (p.93).  He doesn't claim to invent the term, but his
estimate is about a one-to-ten ratio making one Web Year closer to one
month than two.

Hope this helps.
# Corey Murata    | murata at u.washington.edu     #
# Business Administration  |                             #
#  Computer-Based Services Librarian | (206) 543-4360              #
# University of Washington  |                             #
#---------------------------------------------------------------------#
# It's not the ignorance, it's the stupidity.                         #
FROM:
HEADLINE: THE WUNDERKINDER OF THE WEB;
STILL NOT OLD ENOUGH TO RENT CARS, THEY'RE DRIVING DEVELOPMENT OF THE INTERNET;
COMPUTERS & TECHNOLOGY

SOURCE: SPECIAL TO THE EXAMINER

BYLINE: SASHA CAVENDER

    They're also on a different clock and calendar. What's cutting edge today
becomes "mundane" seemingly overnight. "A Web year is 3 months," says McCue.
"No, one month," says Organic's Cliff Skolnick. "I left Sun (Microsystems) in
April, and it feels like six or seven years ago, we've done so much."

Julius Ariail
Georgia Southern University
jariail at gasou.edu
Not sure if any of these are the articles but they may do the trick just
the same....
take a look at....

http://pubs.iworld.com/ww-online/95Aug/op-ed/guest.html
"A web year is the unit of time it takes for a significant Internet development
to move from concept to demonstration project to millions of desktops on the
World Wide Web.  Compared to the normal 12 month cycle of most businesses, Web
years are breathtakingly short and eventful."  Mary J. Cronin

http://web1.leadgroup.com/danug/21a6.htm
First, remember that 4 years here on earth is at least 20 years in cyberspace
(20 web- years). Second, remember that if I really could predict the future, I
would not spend my time
writing articles like this.

http://www.omega.sf.ca.us/webupdat.htm
"Not 2 1/2 months; now 2 weeks" Jay Cross

Hope this helps.

Hal Kirkwood                  hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu        *
Assistant Librarian                                           *
Fraser Library ---- Business/Computer Science/Math            *
S.U.N.Y. at Geneseo    1 College Circle    Geneseo, NY 14454  *
Work#716/245-5334            Fax#716/245-5003                 *
My opinions do not represent the university.                  *
Personal Home Page  http://137.238.50.66/~hal/hal.html        *
It was in Wired, I think it was the interview with the Netscape
head geek, Marc Andreesen.  Or, if not him, someone else, but
definitely Wired in Dec, Jan, Feb, or March.  It was in response
to the interviewer's question along the lines of "aren't you
guys worried about this new Internet service being promised by
AT&T?"  The answer was no, AT&T moves in real years, not web
years.

from Carlos McEvilly, Los Alamos
I had mentioned figures like those in a posting here, that a year in this
technology is about 5 months in the real world.

Not a complaint--just a reality check.

-marc
// Marc Salomon - Software Engineer - Innovative Software Systems Group     \\
\\ Library and Center for Knowledge Management - UC, San Francisco          //
// phone :  415.476.9541 - e-mail : marc at ckm.ucsf.edu - fax: 415.476.4653   \\