"Archiving" e-journals

Eric Lease Morgan eric_morgan at ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 15 09:00:02 EDT 1996

I have been collecting and archiving a few library-related electronic serials
for 3-4 years with somthing I call the Mr. Serials Process. You can read about
it in an article from _Serials Review_ entitled "Description and Evaluation of
the 'Mr. Serials' Process: Automatically Collecting, Organizing, Archiving,
Indexing, and Disseminating Electronic Serials" at:

  http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/staff/morgan/report-on-mr-serials.html

This article describes the Mr. Serials Process. The Mr. Serials Process is a
systematic method being applied at the North Carolina State University (NCSU)
Libraries for collecting, organizing, archiving, indexing, and disseminating
electronic serials. Using readily-available technologies found on the Internet
(FTP, WAIS, gopher, HTTP, perl, procmail, email), the Mr. Serials Process has
proven an effective means for the management of electronic serials that are
consistently formatted and delivered via email.

The most important thing to remember is, "[T]he Mr. Serials Process has proven
an effective means for the management of electronic serials that are
consistently formatted and delivered via email."

Enjoy.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
NCSU Libraries