Netscape 2.x reload problem

Carole Leita leita at netcom.com
Fri Apr 12 23:19:05 EDT 1996

Those of you who are web page developers and are using Netscape version
2.0 and later may have been noticing a problem with not getting the most
current version of pages you are developing and checking by hitting the
"reload" button in your browsers. At least, I have been having the problem
and went and looked at a couple of pertinent newsgroups and found the
answer that worked for me.  If it helps others of you - here it is.  I am
on the West Coast and added:

SET TZ=PDT7

to my autoexec.bat file, and rebooted (I'm running win95) and now Netscape
reloads properly.

It turns out that The Netscape programmers didn't allow for the 1 hour
time change with daylight savings time and, as a result, it takes an hour
for Netscape to recognize that the cache is older than the new page. As a
result, when you hit the "reload" button, Netscape brings what it thinks
is the "newer" page up out of the cache until an hour has gone by.
Interesting little bug.

The pertinent post is: