"Archiving" e-journals

Barbara Stewart stew at library.umass.edu
Fri Apr 12 18:04:46 EDT 1996

Back in the old days, and even up to the first half of the twentieth
century, there were a finite number of books, magazines, and other printed
materials to collect.  That is no longer the case.  With the explosion of
information currently occurring in cyberspace, I believe that we should
all sit ourselves down and give ourselves a serious talking to.  I might
say to myself something like this:
   "You've got to face facts.  Much of what is out there on the Web, even
the ejournals, lists, etc.  can only be described as ephemera.  They are
NOT worth keeping for posterity.  We do not have the capability, nor the
resources to preserve most of this for posterity, much less keeping
archival records of say, the progression of a web site --how did it
appear on its first day, its 100th day, its last day?  Perhaps what might
be attempted is trying to keep and maintain the first few "new" things
that come along...say, the first few sites that employed Java applets, or
the first few sites to offer Realaudio soundbytes, or...well, you get the
picture.  These "firsts" should be duly noted as they come along.  For
example, all the sites that were observed on that "24 hours in
cyberspace" site, or whatever its name was.  The other things?  We're
just going to have to live without them.  For example, when manual
typewriters were invented, did we try to keep everybody's first solemn
attempts at pecking out a message? No! Trying to archive all of these
ejournals, lists, etc. is much the same.  In times of famine, every bean
is counted; in feast times we just say "there was plenty" and let it go
at that"

But will I listen to myself?  THAT'S the question! ;-)

Happy Friday,

--
Barbara Stewart, Latin American  Cataloger
W.E.B. Du Bois Library, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
stew at library.umass.edu
"Speaking for myself"