Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library position opening

Doug Chafe doug.chafe at lanl.gov
Tue Apr 9 19:34:28 EDT 1996

The Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library
Los Alamos, NM

Series:       TSM
Job Title:    STAFF MEMBER
Clearance:    Q
Full Time Position
Internal/External
Job number:LiWeb4Lib-961476

Job Summary:
The Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library
(http://lib-www.lanl.gov) has a career opportunity position opening for
an electronic database professional.  We offer a creative setting in
which information technologies are applied to customer scientific
productivity.  We aggressively pursue new ideas, services, products,
and approaches to satisfy our customers. The successful candidate will
actively partner with Laboratory researchers to support our mission to
facilitate access to and enhance the usability of information.

We are seeking an individual who is prepared to make significant
contributions in an exciting, fast-changing environment.  This position
requires a person with a strong interest in taking initiatives and
risks, who adapts well to change, works cooperatively on a team, and
has a strong interest in fostering customer relationships.  Leading
innovative projects in close collaboration with customers is an
essential part of the job.

Los Alamos National Laboratory is a research-intensive organization
dedicated to developing world-class science and technology and applying
them to the nation's security and well-being.

DUTIES
As a member of the Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library,
duties may include: Work on the electronic database process team to
accomplish the following. Design, test, and develop search engines
for Library bibliographic and full image database. Design user
interfaces for electronic documents and databases. Assist in systems
analysis for new and existing electronic databases. Create, map and
integrate new data types including numeric and multi-media
databases. Apply Z39.50 standards to database and interface
development. Provide leadership in planning, developing and
implementing new electronic databases for Lab customers. Manage
electronic database products for the group.

REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES:
Electronic database experience, preferably in a scientific/technical
library or information center or equivalent experience. Experience
with designing and developing search engines for bibliographic, full
text and/or relational databases. Demonstrated experience
interpreting and implementing customers information needs into
database features. Demonstrated experience effectively working a
team environment. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Demonstrated experience participating in the information profession.
Demonstrated experience documenting processes and projects. Systems
analysis experience. Demonstrated experience in software
development. Programming experience in JAVA, HTML, PERL or CGI.

DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of USMARC. Working knowledge of Z39.50 standards.
ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent experience.

EDUCATION, TRAINING, OR LICENSING:
BS in computer science or equivalent combination of education and
experience.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
To apply formally, interested candidates should forward a resume and
cover letter, noting complete job number ( LiWeb4Lib-961476), to:
Human Resources Division
MS P286, LiWeb4Lib-961476
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM  87545

Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer

Thank you for the posting.
Frances Knudson (research at lanl.gov)