Electronic Resources Project

Marte Misiek MISIEK at fis.utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 26 00:31:25 EDT 1995

I apologize if this is a duplicate posting.  I have already sent it to this
list but have not yet seen it posted and suspect that it got lost in the
recent system changes, etc.

                                  *********************

The Electronic Resources Project of the Faculty of Information
Studies of the University of Toronto is pleased to announce the
test version of a web form to search electronic journals.  The test
journal is The Public-Access Computer Systems Review.  Our URL is:
      http://www.fis.utoronto.ca/ejournals/

The Electronic Resources Project began in April 1994. One of our
main goals is to improve access to electronic journals in the fields of
library, information and archival sciences.  Using our method, users
can do Boolean searches of full text, title, author, and other
categories on a per-article basis, and then select and retrieve
articles from a list of hits.  Search terms are highlighted within
the text.  We achieve this result by marking up journal issues using
SGML and a DTD we developed, loading the issues into an Open
Text database, and providing for searching through a web form.

Our electronic journal collection of about 30 titles is also catalogued
and searchable through UTCAT, the University of Toronto union
catalogue and accessible through hot links in the 856 field of the
bibliographic records when using a brief or full display and the web
interface at:
      http://library.utoronto.ca:8001/drabin/niso_catalogues.pp

A final report on the project is scheduled for the end of the year.

Comments can be sent to: misiek at fis.utoronto.ca

Marte Misiek
Electronic Resources Project, Head
Faculty of Information Studies