FWD- New internet fireworks

Donald A. Barclay dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu
Tue Oct 31 18:31:41 EST 1995

In regard to blaming the Internet, did anyone see last Friday's episode
of NBC's <<Homicide>>?  The episode revolved around a killer arsonist.
When the detectives finally caught the firebug, they asked him where he
learned so much about setting fires.

"The Internet, of course," was his answer.

I find two ironies in this. One is the tendency of media such as
television, magazines, and movies to vilify the Internet when they are
clearly much bigger purveyors of smut and violence.

The other irony is that the episode of <<Homicide>> itself gave out plenty
of detailed information on how to commit arson, and <<Homicide>> certainly
reaches a lot more people than alt.fan.pyro. Did you know that soaking
rolls of toilet paper in gasoline is a good way to start a fire?  You
would if you were one of the millions watching <<Homicide>> last Friday.
One of the millions of dateless, quiet young loners who the neighbors
always thought of as ordiniary guys and it sure was a surprise to them
when. . . .You know the rest of the story.

Happy Halloween.  I hope nobody toilet papers your house.  (-:

Donald A. Barclay
New Mexico State University Library     always the beautiful answer
dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu                   who asks a more beautiful question
                                                    --e.e. cummings