Good web-based list of OPACs on the net?

Real Rodrigue Rodrigue.Real at uqam.ca
Fri Oct 27 17:48:54 EDT 1995

>Apologies if this is a frequently-asked question (although I almost
>hope it is, because then there will probably be a good answer):
>
>Is there a good WWW-based index of online library catalogs accessible
>from the Internet?
>
>Previously we had pointed to the gopher-based Yale collection or its
>mirror at UT Dallas, but it now appears that its maintainers have shut
>it down.
>
>I've looked at the web-based Hytelnet gateways listed at the following
>location:
>
>        http://www.lights.com/hytelnet/#web
>
>..but for my purposes all of them seem to have drawbacks: the EiNet
>Galaxy one mixes in a lot of extraneous material other than links to
>OPACs, the Canadian ones don't permit searching and the others require
>a transatlantic hop.
>
>So for the moment we are linking to the gopher-based Hytelnet site at
>WLU:
>
>        gopher://liberty.uc.wlu.edu:70/11/internet/hytelnet
>
>The WLU site seems pretty good and permits searching, but unlike the
>old Yale collection it doesn't include a state-by-state breakdown,
>something dear to the hearts of Texas library patrons.  Also, it pushes
>the gopherphobic buttons of some of my users (they sure hate that
>fixed-width look in Netscape and Mosaic!). :-)  Finally, I wonder if
>Hytelnet includes Z39.50- and WWW-based OPACs which aren't accessible
>via telnet or tn3270.
>
>So, can anyone recommend a better online list of OPACs?
>
>-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
>-- RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
>-- Home office: 2002-A Guadalupe St. #285, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-323-0708

Yale's gopher collection still exists. It has moved its address a few
months ago. Here is the active address (I just checked it out a few minutes
ago):

gopher://libgopher.cis.yale.edu:70/

     *** *** ***  Real Rodrigue
    *** *** ***   Services informatises
   *** *** ***    Service des bibliotheques
  *** *** ***     Universite du Quebec a Montreal
         ***      Tel.: 514-987-4554
        ***       FAX : 514-987-7787
                  Courrier electronique / E-Mail : Rodrigue.Real at UQAM.CA