Role of librarians

Robert MacKimmie rm at calhist.org
Fri Oct 27 14:28:39 EDT 1995

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 18:49:19 -0700
Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
From: SusanTolbert <c677309 at showme.missouri.edu>
Subject: Re: Role of librarians

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Glee Willis wrote:

> Bob Skinder <skindrf1 at teomail.jhuapl.edu> said:
> >About a year and a half ago, I began fooling around with the Internet.  This

> >was just prior to the first appearance of Mosaic.

> Not to pick nits, but you might want to get your history straight here --
> Mosaic has been around for a **LOT** longer than a mere 18 months.

Here is the timeline !!!  Read it and weep...

Highlights of Web history

March 1989

First project proposal written and circulated for comment at CERN by Tim
Berners-Lee.

November 1990

Initial WorldWideWeb prototype developed on Steve Jobs' NeXT computer
platform.

Jan 1993

Midas and Viola browsers available for X; CERN Mac browser and XMosaic
released as alpha. Around 50 known HTTP servers.

Feb 93

NCSA release first alpha version of Marc Andreessen's "Mosaic for X".

Sep 93

WWW (port 80 http) traffic measures 1% of NSF backbone traffic.

NCSA releases working versions of Mosaic browser for all common platforms:
X, PC/Windows and Macintosh.

Jan 94

O'Reilly, Spry, etc announce "Internet in a box" product to bring the web into
homes.

March 1994
Marc Andreessen and colleagues leave NCSA to form "Mosaic Communications
Corp" (now Netscape).