WEB and Children's Services

TanyaE3051 at aol.com TanyaE3051 at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 17:41:04 EDT 1995

I am a children's librarian with the Free Library of Philadelphia, and we
have just gotten web access through DRA and LibertyNet, a local access
company in the Delaware Valley. I have been interested in how we are going to
teach the kids use of the web, as well as DRA. In a large system such as the
Free library, there is one of me and fifty kids (or more) after school, all
needing reference or homework help or sedatives (just kidding)...The library
has implemented a special committee to search out sites of interest and
education for the kids. The suggestions for the sites have not come down to
us, yet, but will in the near future. However, we only have two public access
units in our branch, and supposedley we will be getting 12 computers in each
branch by the end of 97. (I am not holding my breath.) I am really holding my
breath as to how I will be able to instruct kids on how to use the web, and
what sites to venture to for information, on top of everything else I have to
do in the afternoon school rush.

Anyway, you might want to post a query on the PUBLIB listserv. The address
is: PUBLIB at nysernet.org.

Tanya Elder
Librarian II
Free Library of Philadelphia