Catalog of the Internet

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:48:49 EDT 1995

I maintain the "Searching the Internet" page for the UC Berkeley Library
Web, and my current goals are these:

* to present a *selected* list of fast and effective Internet search
tools (a changing group unfortunately)
* to give the user an easy to use interface that offers some basic clues
about which search tool to use for what kind of query
* to offer more information about each search engine (which I currently
do with a link to another page so the search page loads faster)
* to link to a page that offers as close to all Internet search options
as possible, so the user who is unsatisfied with my selections can make
their own (currently I link to the All-in-1 search page)

To see how well or how poorly I am currently meeting this goal, you can
see the pages at:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/Help/search.html   -   the intial "Search" page

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/Help/searchdetails.html - the "details" page

I recently had edited the Search page to be a table, but when I found it
was crashing Netscape 1.x (not 2.x, which could handle it) I was forced
to remove the table markup (those of you wishing to try to crash your
Netscape are welcome to visit the version that I have not converted at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Help/search.html). Caveat browser!
Roy Tennant
UCB Library Web Manager