Librarians as University Webmasters

Dan Lester ALILESTE at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Wed Oct 18 23:27:54 EDT 1995

I was the university webmaster.  I work closely with the Computer Center
and pressed hard for a true web presence instead of the then-semi-dormant
lynx server that purported to be a CWIS.  Due to staff shortages the CC
said they couldn't do it.  I announced on a public (but internal to the
campus) listserv discussing campus computer issues, that unless I was told
NOT to do it by someone in authority, I'd start the university web server
and page.  I said I'd welcome input and help.  Well, no word of opposition
and a few in support.  So, I started it on 1 Nov last year (almost a year
ago).  In June the CC said they were ready to take it over (mostly meaning
that one guy thought he could do better).  Well, it is different, but
I'm not sure it is any better.  He uses more graphics than I did, and
a few other "semifancy touches" that may be useful.  But no better or more
content than before.  But since I said I was just doing it because it needed
SOMEone to do it, and I turn it back over to CC when they could handle it,
I did.

I'm glad I did it.  I'd not mind being involved again.  I'd do it again in
a minute.

But I'm doing enough other WWW and related things now that I'm also not
looking for something else to do.  o-)

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979