Role of Librarians

ROGERS Dorothy E Dorothy.E.ROGERS at CI.Eugene.OR.US
Wed Oct 18 18:26:00 EDT 1995

Am I really the only respondent to catch Donald Barclay's meaning?
 Everybody, lighten up and read his message again, please!  He said that
libraries would die the way radios and a whole host of other things have
(not).  He said that libraries would change and adapt to the needs of the
times just as the subjects of his analogies have, all of which are today
alive and well.

I agree with him completely.  Those of us who are within libraries are
probably, whether we realize it or not, already well into the adaptive
process.  See all of those OPACs on the Internet.  See the online forms for
interlibrary loan.  See the links to information on the Internet.  See
library patrons place and delete their own holds online, send reference
requests online, make purchase requests online.  See the homeless person
accessing the Internet from a PC in the library...  All of these are just
the beginning of the transition libraries are making to the information-rich
future, and many of us could name more.

No, Donald is not saying, even in sarcasm, that libraries are dying.   He
stated quite accurately that as with most species, libraries will adapt and
evolve into a new, improved, service for delivery of information.  I say the
change is already occurring.

And if you'll investigate the homepages of some of the library automation
vendors you'll discover that libraries will have their own web browsers.
 You'll also find on some (probably on all within a short time) links
between physical information in libraries and cyber-information on the
Internet that can be provided only by libraries.  To provide "one-stop
shopping" for information for the vast majority of the people, libraries
will still be where it's at, and librarians will have put it there.

Dorothy
dorothy.e.rogers at ci.eugene.or.us