Role of librarians

Martin Cohen mjc at simon.stmarys-ca.edu
Wed Oct 18 16:49:45 EDT 1995

Surely one of the reasons people write books and articles and technical
reports is so that they can express what they have to say clearly,
concisely, at length, and with documentation of their thought process and
logic. It's my experience that authors when asked a question about their
work would rather that the questioner have read the work first. Perhaps
that perception is weakened where talk shows give the impression that the
reason for writing a book is so that you can go on TV and radio.

Being able to query an author may supplement having access to the work.
It is not a substitute for it.

Martin J. Cohen                                 mcohen at stmarys-ca.edu
Head of Systems and Media                       voice: (510) 631-4229
Saint Mary's College of California              fax:   (510) 376-6097
Moraga, CA 94575                                ars longa vita brevis