Role of Librarians

Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu
Wed Oct 18 15:38:10 EDT 1995

At 10:28 AM 10/18/95 -0700, you wrote:

>Before television came on the scene, there was this thing
>called radio that gave only words but not pictures.  As soon as
>television came along, everyone stopped listening to radio, radio
>stations all went out of business, and everyone working in radio had to
>get jobs in other fields.  In much the same way, the Internet means the
>end of libraries and everyone working in them.

I appreciate the analogy, and I understand the sarcasm.

However, while a lot of people made a good living in radio before TV, very
few people can make a living in radio now. The money and talent went to TV.
That's where the action is. Radio stations that still have a staff are now
frequently operated with canned packages mounted by low paid technicians.

Will libraries end up being staffed by low paid clerks who provide change
for the coin-op Internet terminals?

Librarians need to remember what business they are in and see that they do
the right things for their customers.

--Harry

Harry_M_ Kriz at vt.edu      540-231-7052        FAX:  540-231-3694
http://learning.lib.vt.edu/authors/hmkriz.html
University Libraries
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)
Blacksburg, VA   24061-0434     USA
"What joy to awake every morning in a world so filled with  things to
learn." - H. M. Kriz (1994)