How to Jump Start a Web Site?

Genevieve Engel gen at stubbs.ucop.edu
Wed Oct 18 14:34:25 EDT 1995

>Hi!  I'm not part of a Library, but I'm requesting permission to tap into
>your collective knowledge.  (No... we are not Borg.)  I work in Corporate
>America, and I am trying to develop a business case for establishing an
>INTERNAL Web site.  Any suggestions on where to go for supporting
>information?

I know Turner Broadcasting and Sun Microsystems both have internal sites.
Presumably they went through a similar decision process.  I don't have any
contact information specifically for the people who considered the business
aspects of the case, but surely your local library has business directories
that would tell you how to get in touch with TBS.  Of course, since Sun is
actually in the WWW business with their Java language, their business
reasons for an internal site are so obvious as to be probably irrelevant to
your decisionmaking needs.

I will say one thing, if you have a need for an internal "bulletin board" or
newsletter of any kind, putting up a website is one of the cheapest and most
flexible ways to go (assuming you already have your company networked with
TCP/IP protocols and appropriate web browser software on everyone's desk so
that all the potential in-house users can actually reach the web server, and
assuming either your internal network isn't connected to the outside
Internet, or else you have sufficient security on your network to exclude
those outside the company who shouldn't be seeing what's on your internal
server.)

Good luck,

Genny Engel
gen at dla.ucop.edu