Role of Librarians

Donald A. Barclay dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu
Wed Oct 18 10:40:05 EDT 1995

I think that the Internet means the absolute end of libraries and
librarians. My analogy will demonstrate.

Before television came on the scene, there was this thing
called radio that gave only words but not pictures.  As soon as
television came along, everyone stopped listening to radio, radio
stations all went out of business, and everyone working in radio had to
get jobs in other fields.  In much the same way, the Internet means the
end of libraries and everyone working in them.

If you don't like this analogy, I can tell you the one about how the
advent of movies ended live theatre.

(-:

Donald A. Barclay
New Mexico State University Library     always the beautiful answer
dbarclay at lib.nmsu.edu                   who asks a more beautiful question
                                                    --e.e. cummings