Role of librarians

Nick Arnett narnett at Verity.COM
Mon Oct 16 21:14:39 EDT 1995

At 1:52 PM 10/16/95, Elisabeth Roche wrote:

>In the United States one of the issues before this committee is the fact
>that the schools are the only places in the entire country that are not
>wired with telephone service throughout. (fiber optic or otherwise)

Not only that, most classrooms don't have the electrical outlets needed,
and when you install computers, you have to beef up the security so they
won't be stolen.  An L.A. school administrator once showed me that the
infrastructure costs are about equal to the computer costs -- and this was
*without* a network connection outside the classroom.

By the way, Alan isn't an Apple executive.  He's an Apple Fellow.  He has a
budget to spend on just about anything he wants and he spends most of his
time with a school in L.A., or at least he did when last I saw him.  His
academic background is cognitive psychology; he thinks very highly of
Jerome Bruner.

Nick