Transparent GIFs

Derek Smith dsmith at seraph1.sewanee.edu
Mon Oct 9 15:04:36 EDT 1995

>I have noticed that when I use a gif with a transparent background, the
>background shows up in black on PCs running in standard windows VGA
>mode, which, I think, is only 16 colors.  Any higher setting, SVGA for
>example, the backgrounds are transparent and look how I want them too.  Is
>there any way for them to be truely transparent at lower VGA settings?

        Save your gifs in the Gif 89a standard. The older gif standard
(87a) does not support transparency. Various software programs can do this
conversion for you (for example, LView Pro for Windows). I have yet to do
this myself, so if any others have had any experiences with this process,
please tell us about it!

Derek Smith (dsmith at seraph1.sewanee.edu)
        http://www.sewanee.edu/dupontlibrary/

        libstaff/dsmith/home.html