Error Condition Re: Web Server recommendation?

Matt Pardo pardm at ruby.ils.unc.edu
Thu Oct 5 03:22:12 EDT 1995

> We are trying to setup a web server for the library.  What would you
> recommend for a combination of hardware and software.  We have a very
> tight budget :(
>
> What are the pros and cons for a Mac group server vs. a pentium w/
> linux or a pentium w/ windows 95 or NT?  Thanks for your time.

I would highly recommend running Linux on a pentium.  I have
run servers on pentium boxes before and it works great!  I have
also participated some with a mac server...I didn't like it. Cgi
stuff is very difficult, and, from my experience the Mac
didn't perform very well.  Of course, I didn't run any benchmarks
or anything.  I don't have any experience with Windows 95 or NT
servers, so I can't really say anything about performance.

I would also think that you would be able to find more people who
could help you with Linux (since it is UNIX basically), than
the other OS's.

Of course, my 2 cents only.

Matt

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process
he does not become a monster.  And when you look into the Abyss,
the Abyss also looks into you.
--Nietzsche