HTML specification (was re:Lynx Browser)

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu
Wed Oct 4 16:31:03 EDT 1995

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Dennis R. Sherman wrote:
> tags.  <CENTER> is a proposed HTML3 tag, not yet part of a standard.

As I understood it (just to throw my $.02 in):

1) <CENTER>, as in <CENTER>This is Centered</CENTER> is a Netscape-ism.

2) <P ALIGN="center">This is also Centered</P> is HTML3.

Netscape recognizes both.  Arena only recognizes the second, I think.

> Ignoring a non-standard element seems reasonable to me... lots better
> than crashing, anyway, which some browsers have been known to do in the
> not-very-distant past.

Again, I was under the impression that the spec says that any unknown tag
should be ignored.  Now, I don't think it specifies what results
misplaced or illegal tags are supposed to have---I always seemed to find
that was the cause of my problems with browsers.

> You can find out more than you ever wanted to know about the nuts and
> bolts underpinnings of the World Wide Web, including HTTP and HTML, at
> http://www.w3.org/

Ditto.

Mike.
--
Michael Alan Dorman                                   Head of Systems
mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu           Louis Calder Memorial Library