HTML specification (was re:Lynx Browser)

Dennis R. Sherman sherman at trln.lib.unc.edu
Wed Oct 4 13:32:52 EDT 1995

Doug Cornwell says:

> One of the answers received on my question about "character entities"
> mentioned about the use of Lynx to recognize HTML.  I have discovered,
> since I use Lynx quite a bit, that most of the HTML commands are
> recognizable by Lynx.  However, every once in awhile I have discovered that
> Lynx ignores an HTML command (i.e., the <CENTER> tag).  Can anyone
> recommend a site to consult that provides the proper specifications for
> HTML use on different browsers?  Also, that tells the differences between
> the different versions of HTML?

Actually, as far as I've investigated, Lynx recognizes all valid HTML 2.0
tags.  <CENTER> is a proposed HTML3 tag, not yet part of a standard.
Ignoring a non-standard element seems reasonable to me... lots better
than crashing, anyway, which some browsers have been known to do in the
not-very-distant past.

You can find out more than you ever wanted to know about the nuts and
bolts underpinnings of the World Wide Web, including HTTP and HTML, at
http://www.w3.org/
--
  Dennis R. Sherman  	         Triangle Research Libraries Network
  dennis_sherman at unc.edu       Univ. of North Carolina - Chapel Hill