Librarians: selection vs. censorship on the net

Kumar Percy percyk at uchastings.edu
Sun Oct 1 11:48:42 EDT 1995

Does anyone know of articles, or is anyone writing articles, that deal with the ethical considerations of librarians selecting materials on the internet or on other on-line media.

The discussion of this list about the Surfwatch program sparked my interest  in this topic.  The scope of my research is the conflict between librarians' ethical duty to select a balanced and appropriate library collection and the ethical duty to fight a
ainst censorship.  When we provide access to a web browser do we have a duty to act as a selector, as when we create a book collection.

I've already searched for articles both on in paper and on-line
indexes and I have not found anything directly on the topic.  If you
know of  any articles on this topic, please send me the cites,
directed to: percyk at uchastings.edu.

Thanks for your help.
Kumar Percy
H. Kumar Percy