Cataloging the Internet (Yahoo)

anne callery callery at netcom.com
Tue Oct 31 01:42:12 EST 1995

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, Jeanne Crisp <jcrisp at wln.com> wrote:

> Here's my question: is there any place I can obtain similar simplified
> descriptions of many or all of the various searching tools?  I've read
> the 1995 article by Ian Winship in which he compares results of
> searching with different tools, but I still lack a good understanding of
> how to describe what Yahoo searches vs. what Webcrawler searches.

At this time Yahoo searches only info that is in the Yahoo database.  You
can run keyword searches in the title, URL, and/or comments of an entry.
(Sometimes when you try to limit a search to a "field" like this, it
won't work.  The load on the search machine is so great that it is
occasionally shut off.  You can still search, but without these limits.)
However, Yahoo has entered a cooperative relationship with Opentext, and
will be using the Opentext search engine.  This should be going up
shortly...  What will happen is that when you enter a Yahoo category, you
can either browse (as now) or search just that category (search engine
limited to sites within that category, therefore giving fewer false
hits).  Also, when any Yahoo search is run, users will be given the
option to send Opentext on a search for related items which are not in Yahoo.

This is all off the top of my head at home...  I'll mess around with it
at work some more this week, and will report here when it's up and running!

Anne Callery
anne at yahoo.com
callery at netcom.com