Internet Assistant message needed

IreneU at aol.com IreneU at aol.com
Sun Oct 22 13:10:18 EDT 1995

I hope this is the post you are requesting. Sent to you by Irene Upshur,
Marymount Univ. Media Ctr., Arl. VA. Please let me know what YOU think of the
product.  Best.

POST YOU MISSED:
Sorry - don't have info on Quark to HTML, but MSWord is a different kettle
of fish!  Microsoft themselves have put out a product called Internet
Assistant, which is FREE to anyone who has a (legitimate) copy of MSWord.
It is available from the Microsoft Web Site
(http://www.microsoft.com/pages/deskapps/word/ia/), or their FTP site
(ftp.microsoft.com  in the  directory /deskapps/word/winword-public/ia - the
file is WORDIA.EXE, a self-extracting archive).

The beauty of the product is that it turns WORD into an Internet browser in
its own right - albeit somewhat limited - so you can test your links without
leaving the editor!  You can also add graphics easily.

You get a new option in the SAVE AS menu - you can now save as HTML!  This
means that you can load a standard .doc file (or any other file WORD
recognises), and then save it as HTML - a fairly sophisticated conversion
program.  The file that you convert still needs checking - on my experience,
the Word files I convert are about 80 - 90% right, but need some tidying up
- but the file loads straight away, and looks reasonably good.  The files
also contain <NAME> links at likely points for referencing - these I usually
edit out, as I'm happier putting them in for myself, but it would be helpful
for some.  And it sets up well formatted <HEAD> sections!

If you like Word, you'll be very comfortable with Internet Assistant.  No,
I'm not a paid Microsoft publicist, but this is a good product at the right
price!

Hope this helps.

Warren