number of documents in the world wide web?

Timothy G. Kambitsch kambitsch at dayton.lib.oh.us
Tue Oct 17 19:15:55 EDT 1995

I'll trust the number of entries figure, but I wonder how Lycos got its
percent figure.  I did some quick searching of its database to find entries
on my web server and I could only find my personal page and our home page.

Maybe I didn't do a very good job searching, but if _I_ cannot find known
entries on a known server, maybe all those zealous catalogers adding
intellectual value to the net is worthwhile...;-)

>  An article in the current (October, 1995) issue of WebWeek says that Lycos
>  "has registered more than 7 million URLs" and quotes the Lycos CEO as
>  saying "We have catalogued more than 90 percent of the Web." If he's right,
>  this week's answer is between 7 and 8 million documents. Who knows about
>  next week. Of course, that omits a lot of information to which the Web
>  provides some sort of gateway.

Tim Kambitsch <kambitsch at dayton.lib.oh.us>
Dayton and Montgomery County Public Library                   513-227-9560
215 East Third Street Dayton OH 45402                   fax:  513-227-9524