Cataloging the Internet

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 17 16:58:42 EDT 1995

On Tue, 17 Oct 1995 tdowling at lib.washington.edu wrote:

>  % Do people have file names? What would the uniform structure of their file
>  % names look like? What's the content of _their_ server?
>
> I think you can fairly argue that there's a qualitative difference
> between the resources on the net (documents, databases, etc.) and the
> resources of the net itself (people, f'rinstance).  While I wouldn't
> dream of trying to catalog the Big Glee Bopper, I would expect a
> capable network directory to lead me to contact information for him

I think figurin' how to catalog the Big Glee Bopper would be interesting
to the Big Glee Bopper. Might also be able to find a tdowling or a neff!!
But there has to be some way of finding whom you'd like rather than
everyone whose name begins with _G_ which means some sort of processing
or something sorta like cataloging, and some sort of ranked retrieval.

Either we do it or ATT will do it and charge us to find ourselves.

--Thom