Cataloging the Internet

Derek Smith dsmith at seraph1.sewanee.edu
Tue Oct 17 15:36:32 EDT 1995

>If this thinking is correct, libraries and libraries should be focusing on
>beefing up the selection process for web pages in the "space" nearby their
>patron communities much in the same way they select for their local community
>information.  Part of the effort will be to characterize what that "space" is
>as well as what is meant by "nearby" since geographic distance is less valid
>as metric.  (Yes, AG, there really is no longer a "there".)
>
>--David Ritchie
>--Naperville, IL USA
>--R124C41 at AOL.COM

        This is definitely a good point. Individual libraries should focus
on selecting URLs that are appropriate for their own users. Trying to
catalog "everything" doesn't seem to be the way to go. I think the problem
should be approached as a collection development issue, not only as a
cataloging issue. Find sites that are interesting and useful to your users
and catalog these. Remember the old 80-20 rule of thumb? Why catalog all
these sites if no one is going to use them?

Derek Smith (dsmith at seraph1.sewanee.edu)
Reference Librarian
duPont Library
University of the South