Are web searching tools WAIS-based?

Nick Arnett narnett at Verity.COM
Sun Oct 15 11:23:33 EDT 1995

At 12:08 AM 10/15/95, Jo Ann Mandinach wrote:

>Sorry. But I find your remarks a bit disingenuous. Dataware, OpenText and
>InText are hardly small.

Thanks for the clarification -- I was focusing on client/server text
retrieval, since that's the Web segment.  However, OpenText doesn't even
show up in Delphi's market research reports, so I find it strange that you
mention it.  Dataware is a leader in text search overall, but also doesn't
show up in client/server.

My point was that text retrieval, no matter how you slice it, is a very
crowded marketplace, with new competitors popping up all the time.

Anyway, this isn't the place for two vendors to start arguing or flaunting
customer lists and vague references to praise.  We both have long customer
lists, we've both had our companies praised and damned by the professional
literature, etc.

Unfortunately, no one, including Delphi, even really tries to measure the
usefulness of the various engines against particular tasks.

Nick Arnett
Internet Marketing Manager
Verity Inc.